Compulsory Class Attire
Attending your class in the correct attire is mandatory (excluding new students to the Dance School during the first few weeks of term). This ensures you are safe and assists your teachers in assessing and improving your technique. Above all, please remember to bring with you a confident attitude, a big smile, and be prepared to have loads of fun!
· It is essential that each student brings their own water bottle to each class (with their name clearly marked on it). We only recommend water as a drink while exercising. We will not supply cups in 2016.
· All items worn or brought to Marlene’s School of Dance Colac Studios (casual clothing, dance wear, school bags and clothing, shoes etc.) must be clearly identified with the dancers’ name. Unfortunately we cannot return items left behind when they are not identified. Unidentified items left behind will be given away.
· Skirts or non-stretch attire are unacceptable attire in the dance studio.
· Dance Club students must wear their own socks to partake in the 10 minute playground period. No shoes are to be worn in the playground.
· Your choice of light casual dance wear, including comfortable pants/track pants or shorts.
· Your choice of comfortable dance-appropriate shoes, such as sneakers.
· Hair tied back neatly and securely.
· Every Academy Student must wear a light coloured tee shirt or singlet printed with the Dance School logo to and during all classes (no other upper attire will be accepted in our classes except during trials/whilst printing is occurring). To keep the costs down and ensure our students are comfortable in their garment, we ask that each student supplies one tee shirt or singlet (of a light colour – not black), which we will have printed at no additional cost to the student. Students can have more than one tee shirt or singlet printed, with each additional shirt printed at the price of $5 per garment. Students commencing the new-year must hand in items to be printed by the end of the third week of Term 1 with their name clearly attached. New students joining after week 3 of Term 1 will need to contact our front desk personnel to arrange the printing.
· All Academy students are required to have their hair neat and tidy, tied back and well secured away from their face at all times whilst dancing. Untidy hair is distracting and indicates lack of interest in appearance. Hair must be secured in a bun for any Classical Ballet classes.
· All Academy students are required to wear black 3/4 leggings, tights or shorts. Other colours, stretch wear or patterned clothing is not allowed.
· Shoes (black tap shoes, black jazz flats, black jazz sneakers, flesh coloured ballet flats, flesh coloured foot undies, and/or hip hop sneakers) are required depending on the Academy classes you are enrolled in. Please purchase the correct footwear as soon as you have enrolled, to ensure your personal safety. Where socks are needed to be worn with shoes (males only), they are to be black.
· Academy students must underwear appropriate for aerobic exercise.
Recommended Suppliers of Dance Items
· Hooked on Shoes, Murray Street, Colac;
· Geelong Dance Supplies, Little Malop Street, Geelong; and
· Central Dance Supplies, Doveton Street North, Ballarat.
Not Permitted for Academy Classes
· Bare feet or light sneakers are not acceptable for Tap, Ballet or Jazz classes (except new students to the Dance School during the trial period only).
· Socks are unacceptable except when wearing Jazz or Tap shoes, as they pose a risk of injury on the slippery floors.
· Please DO NOT purchase vinyl jiffies as they are unsafe on the slippery floors.
· Skirts or non stretch attire are unacceptable attire in the Dance Studio.
Alternating Academy Classes
When a student has alternating classes (e.g. Modern, Tap, Ballet) it is the student’s responsibility to ensure they are in the correct attire for that weeks’ class.
Preschooler Academy Classes
Your own choice of leotard and skirt/tutu; black dance pants, shorts or leggings; flesh-tone ballet tights (for performances); black tap shoes and pink leather ballet slippers.
All Academy Ballet Classes
An MSOD printed tee shirt must be worn to, and whilst awaiting, classes over the following items:
A leotard or unitard and ballet skirt/cross-over of your choice (no other attire over these during class), with flesh-tone conversion tights (foot out for contemporary, in for classical), with pink leather ballet slippers (elastic only – no ribbons).
No other garments will be accepted for training safety and grooming requirements.
Academy Pointe Classes
Flesh coloured Pointe Shoes must be professionally fitted, and students must have their shoes for the first class of the year.
Academy Modern and Tap Classes
Your own choice of leotard with tee shirt or singlet (with dance school logo), black shorts or black leggings. Black leather dance shoes or boots, and black tap shoes.
No other garments will be accepted.
Academy Hip Hop Classes
Your own choice of light casual dance wear, including black comfortable dance pants, black track pants or black shorts, with tee shirt or singlet (with dance school logo) and sports sneakers.
Black leggings or shorts, with tee shirt or singlet (with dance school logo). Gymnastics will performed in bare feet.
Male Students (ALL Academy Classes)
Comfortable light weight black pants or shorts with tee shirt or singlet (with dance school logo), with correct shoes for the dance genre studied.
Adult Dance Classes and Adult Dance Academy Classes
Your own choice of light casual dance wear, including comfortable black dance pants/track pants or shorts, and sports or dance sneakers/jazz shoes.
Attending your class in the correct attire is mandatory (excluding new students to the Dance School during the trial period). This ensures you are safe and assists your teachers in assessing and improving your technique. Above all, please remember to bring with you a confident attitude, a big smile, and be prepared to have loads of fun!